Saturday, June 27, 2009

Sweet Addy

I'm sitting in the recliner in the quiet of my house and am thanking the Lord for my sweet Adeline. She and I have a special relationship that I hope will grow stronger and stronger as we both grow. We have this thing we do when we want to say I love you but we're in public or are across the room from each other. It's not original, but really special to this mother's heart. One of us starts by pointing to our eye, then crossing our arms over our heart and then pointing at the other one. The second person adds the number 2 to the end when they do it back (or if it's Addy, she'll sometimes throw a three in there for good measure!). We've been doing this for a few months now, but this week was the first time she initiated it in public. She was in the middle of swim lessons and she looked over and did our signs. It made my heart swell.

She told me yesterday that she never wants to leave me - that she wants to stay with me forever. It reminded me of all the times I told my mom and grandma that I didn't want to grow up. She's been extra lovey this week. Sometimes she gets jealous of sharing me with Jayden and I think it makes her extra sentimental. I've been trying to be intentional about getting one on one time with her so she knows that she is very important in my life. We snuggled on the couch and watched part of a movie this afternoon while Jayden napped. It was nice just to hold her without Jayden vying for my attention too.

She came into the kitchen tonight as I was reheating leftover spaghetti and said, "Mommy, how did you learn to be such an awesome cook?" I almost laughed and said, "I'm not really . . .that would be your Aunt Dane. . . and this is just spaghetti" but I decided to smile, accept the compliment and be glad she likes my spaghetti. One day, everything I do probably won't be awesome in her eyes, but for today, it sure felt good.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

aww... love that post... made me smile :)