Saturday, August 23, 2008

Hard Questions

It's been quite some time since my last post. We've been across the country and back since I wrote last, as well as debriefed our summer interns and welcomed several new missionaries and recruits to the Dallas area. We spent a week with my dad and step mom in WV and then the girls and I visited with family in KY while Nathan went to represent PBT at a conference in IN. I'll be sure to post pics of our trip a little later . . .

I've been amazed lately by the deep level at which my three year old thinks. As a mother, I didn't think the hard questions from your children began until at least five. Addy continually proves me wrong:) She has a tender heart for the world and the suffering in it. She is eager to help and is trying hard to understand why some people have and others do not.

The other day I was fixing Addy, Jayden and myself some lunch and she said, "Mom, how come God gave some people food and not others?" Her little mind was trying to understand that, if God really loves everyone, why he gives to some and not others. I took a deep breath, sat down beside her and tried to explain in simple terms something that many adults still wrestle with. I talked about the world not being perfect like God originally made it - explaining that since it's not perfect, some people don't have everything they need, like food. I talked about the importance of God's people helping those who do not have food and, more importantly, those who do not have the Word. I reminded her that our family is working to help people without physical and spiritual food. She likes being a part of that.

Hardly a day goes by that she doesn't talk about our upcoming trip to Papua New Guinea. We are in the process of planning a family trip to visit our PBT branch there - it's still very much in the works, but she is very excited. She keeps asking questions about the people there, the food they eat, the clothes they wear. I must admit, I am a little nervous about taking my girls there. I think I'll see everything through new eyes now that I'm responsible for more than just me. But the thought of sharing this land of my heart with the people I love most in the world is a dream come true. We don't know how the trip will take shape yet, but we're excited for Nathan to see the work there as it will greatly assist in his ability to recruit the right kinds of missionaries to serve in this field. I'm also excited to share this experience as a family and to further encourage Addy's growing heart for the people of the world. May she reflect the heart of her Father, whose love for people is deeper and wider than we could ever imagine.

No comments: