Thursday, November 6, 2008

The heart of a child

On the way to work/school this morning, this is the beginning of my conversation with Addy:

Addy: "Mommy, do I get to go to heaven one day while I'm a little kid?"
Me: "Oh, I sure hope not. Mommy hopes that you're a real old lady before you leave this world to go to heaven. I would miss you a lot if you went to heaven now."
Addy (with tears starting to flow): "But mommy, I want to go to heaven while I'm a little kid so I can give Jesus a hug! Jesus loves little children!"

How true, dear one. Jesus does love little children. I was struck as I wrote this by how short-sighted my response to Addy was this morning. Of course, as Addy's mother, I don't want her to go to heaven any time soon. But is the scope of eternity, wouldn't that be amazing for her? I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

In the meantime, we're trying to teach Addy that every day God gives us on this earth is a day we must do his work. We talked again this morning about the special jobs God gives his children and about our family's job being to help people get the Bible in their language. It's not always easy doing the Lord's work, but if I can keep my eyes on the hug awaiting me in eternity, I am reminded that it's well worth the wait.

No comments: