Thursday, February 17, 2011

Isaiah (10 months) and a Season of Lasts

Isaiah was 10 months old on February 8th - it's so hard to believe how fast he's growing up. He now has four teeth, two on top and two on bottom. While it took the ones on bottom 12 weeks to come in, it only took 2 for the top ones, for which we were very thankful!

Separation anxiety has kicked into full gear this month. He hates being away from me and Nathan, especially at church. He used to be the happy go lucky baby in the nursery, but he's now Mr. Grumpy Pants. I have found that his separation anxiety is much worse than my girls' was, which I attribute to the fact that I'm staying home with him full-time (while the girls went to school part-time since I worked). I love that he loves me, but man can it be exhausting!

Isaiah is easily pulling up to standing, cruising well, and has even stood on his own for a couple of seconds two different times. It won't be long before he's tottling after his sisters. Transitioning to finger foods has been a little harder for him than for the girls - he is a big texture person and if he doesn't like the way it feels, he won't eat it. So far he's boycotting carrots, broccoli and green beans unless they are pureed. He LOVES bread (wouldn't be a Davenport if he didn't!), cheese, sweet potatoes, bananas, pears and eggs. He tolerates other foods, but those are his favorites. His favorite pureed foods are butternut squash and a mixture of carrots, apples and parsnips that I make at home.

Just before he turned 10 months, we decided to wean him and begin using formula. We had several reasons for doing this, but I am pleased with the decision overall. It was a hard decision, but, in our opinion, was best. He transitioned quite well to the bottle and I'm enjoying some freedom, too:)

Isaiah now says "Mama" and "Dada," along with "Nigh-nigh" (for goodnight). He really loves going outside too and has discovered that playing on the playground with his big sisters is way more fun than watching from the stroller. The only sign he's learned so far is his own rendition of "all done" where he throws his arms up in the air.

Here are some recent pics:

Bathtime!


I had to take a picture of this - the first time the girls dressed him up. I say the first because I'm quite sure it won't be the last. Poor guy - he has no idea!

Cheesin' for the camera!

My handsome little guy after church.

Look at those baby blues! The girls will go crazy over those one day!

As Isaiah gets closer and closer to his first birthday, I'm becoming quite nostalgic. Every milestone he hits is as exciting as every first should be, but I have found that mixed in with the thrill of watching him grow and discover new things is a sadness too. Unless we are thoroughly taken by surprise, Isaiah will be our last baby. While everything for the girls was a season of firsts, I find myself treasuring and holding onto the memories from this new seasons of "lasts." The last first word, the last first crawl, the last first laugh, the last first taste of cereal. For this reason I sometimes hold him a little longer and a little tighter than I did the girls - I want to remember everything. I am so blessed to have this little guy in my life and he's reminding me daily to live each day to its fullest.

No comments: