It's been a long few days, so I don't know how long this reflective post will be, or if it will even make sense, but I can't rest tonight without journaling a few thoughts in regard to our summer interns. They returned from PNG, West Africa and North Dallas this week and we've spent the last three days with them, debriefing, eating yummy food, crying together and laughing a lot. Saying good-bye tonight was difficult - they probably didn't know I came home feeling very sad.
I handle a lot of minutia in my job and sometimes my type A personality gets mixed up in the details and I get overwhelmed. Occasionally I'll consider stepping out of my internship planning role to stay home with my children full-time or because I don't feel qualified for it - but weeks like this remind me why I continue to coordinate the internship program. It reminds me why I love my job so much.
Something beautiful happened in each of their lives this summer. Not all of them will move forward in the ministry of Bible translation, but each of their debriefs shared a common thread - "I learned so much and what God taught me this summer changed my life." Some of them learned most about themselves, some of them found confirmation that this ministry is exactly what God created them for. Some found deep and lasting friendships, some saw that being missional isn't so complicated after all. I loved hearing of their victories - so many were profoundly significant.
I am so proud of them. It's not every year that every single intern opens their heart to learn. Some go home missing the big picture. But this year, they got it. And it was so fun to hear - so fun to see. I am feeling very thankful tonight and I hope they felt in my good-bye hug all the love I feel for them.
May the Lord bless their trip home . . . and continue to teach and shape them in their journey as Jesus followers.
1 comment:
Beautiful, that's awesome Lins... so proud of you!
Post a Comment