Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Those darn ants!

Well, I suppose Jayden will now have the same intense aversion to ants that Addy has. Stepping in a hidden mound of fire ants while playing outside would probably do that to anyone. Nathan managed to get all the ants off of Jayden pretty quickly, but she still has about 50 bites, from her little toes up to her knees, both on the front and back. (These pics don't do it justice!)

She was pretty tough about it. She didn't cry, at least initially. We rinsed her feet in cool water, then I applied dish soap, which is a home remedy I learned about online. We later rinsed that off, then applied some hydrocordisone cream. We've been routinely putting another kind of anti-itch/pain cream on every four hours. The first night, she woke up four times, crying out, "Mommy, ow!" over and over. It was very sad. Last night she just woke up once with the same cry. Hopefully, tonight will be even better!

The crazy thing about fire ants is that the bites look worse the second day than the first and take about three weeks to heal. I'll be watching them diligently for infection too.


Whoever said Texas isn't another country in itself, didn't ever experience fire ants. These are like some kind of crazy insect from another continent! My sweet Jayden didn't even see them coming.

But Nathan killed every last one of them. That made us feel a little better:)

Day 1

Day 2

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Dog Gone!!! I am so sorry, they look really painful! I wasn't aware of the kind of bites they left!

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness! I never heard of such a thing! So sorry for Jayden... hope she heals quickly!

Jenn said...

My girls swell up terrible from simple mosquito bites, so I can't imagine. Its so hard to have our kids experience pain! Hope she feels better soon.

david, blair, and sadie beth said...

bless her little heart, Lindsay. How sad. Sadie Beth was sick this past week and would wake up crying, "ouchy ouchy mommy!" Made me so sad for her. Hope Jayden feels better soon!

indymommy said...

Poor thing! The only time I've ever been bitten by fire ants was in Dallas too! We were at a water park and they just started stinging away, it was aweful!