Saturday, January 14, 2012

Recovery and pretending it was fall

Once we got back home from Disney, Jayden's hand, foot and mouth kept us home for over a week as we waited for her sores to heal and no longer be contagious. We took LOTS of wagon rides and started a new routine of doing something just the two of us after Isaiah goes down for his nap (and just before her nap). I used to just put her to bed at the same time, but this has become a real special time just for us to do something that's hard to do with Isaiah awake . . . i.e. do a puzzle or play a board game. Even now that she's back in school and sometimes gets home a little later, we try to at least read a book together after lunch.



When I first moved to Dallas, it was very hard to get into fall decorating when all the trees were still green and the temps were 90 degrees outside. Now, it seems normal. In fact, fall (or our pitiful version of it) arrives about the second week of December and that doesn't feel weird anymore. It's our new normal, I guess.

As usual, the girls really enjoyed their pumpkin painting this year. Isaiah wanted to be part of the fun, but I wasn't ready to set him loose with a paint brush so I put him at the table with a plastic cup and some craft balls and he enjoyed putting them in his cup (he LOVES to organize and is truly a little man after his momma's heart . . . more on that in a later post!) This kept him occupied for a while so the girls could paint.




I didn't really take pictures of my fall decorations this year, but I snapped one of my mantel since this was the area I tried to improve on this time around. Decorating definitely does not come naturally to me - in fact, it's sometimes painful. But I did thoroughly enjoy having some fall things on the mantel this year and will probably work with it some more next fall.

No comments: