I missed my normal morning at work since sweet Addy was
still recovering from her stomach bug, so I came to the office tonight to catch
up on a few things. The time is quickly
approaching when the interns will arrive and the chaotic hubbub of Pre-field Orientation
and PMI (Pioneer Mission Institute) will be in full swing. The month of June is a very fulfilling, busy
season in our ministry. Although it’s
the most stressful time of the year, it is also when I feel most connected to
the people we long most to reach - with every phone call, every email, every
recruiting trip, every prayer . . . every breath. We long to reach out and touch them. To bear their burden alongside them. To hurt with them. To meet them in their poverty, both spiritual
and physical.
The Bibleless.
I have carried but a very small portion of their burden for
12 years now, since the day I sat at the CIY On Purpose conference and listened
to a Wycliffe translator, Marilyn Laszlo, share her heart for the Bibleless. I wept and longed to be a part of their
story.
It has been nine years since I walked among them, but my
heart bleeds for them. It has been nine
years since I held their hands, shared their table and watched as they
painstakingly checked portions of Scripture alongside a PBT translator. I was an observer. I was a learner. I was an intern.
And I was filled to overflowing.
Today I serve as an intern coordinator for students who,
like me, long to find a way to use the gifts God has given them to reach out to
the least of these. I review
applications, mail acceptance packets and reading materials, answer emails,
write budgets, acquire visas, coordinate pre-field training, deposit support
checks and remind the interns to send Fathers Day cards while they are gone for
the summer. I work behind the scenes,
which is very much where I prefer to stay.
I am a support worker.
There are many days like today when I long for even an hour
overseas. It’s funny because I’m quite
sure some friends of mine would say the same about being “home” in the
states. Our hearts beat for the same
things, but the Lord has led us to serve in very different ways. We are a team. This is a team ministry - of which I am so
blessed to be a part.
And so, tonight I return to my emails and the binders I am
putting together for the interns’ first week of training. With every word I type, I keep the faces of
the Bibleless before me. The faces of
friends made long ago on a priceless internship to the Land of the Unexpected, Papua New Guinea. I call it, “The Land of my Heart,” because so
much of it remains there.
Tonight is for them - and for so many like them - who are
still waiting.

3 comments:
This was a beautiful reflection Lindsay. I love you with all I am. I'm so glad we get to do this ministry together.
Loved reading this...and people thought I reminded them of you. I'm honored!
Love this picture of you! Makes me remember our days at Lincoln when you were sharing your missions stories with me :)
Post a Comment