The other day, Addy and I were driving home from taking a meal to friends of ours that evacuated Galveston because of hurricane Ike. I was trying to explain that the house where they were staying is their mother's house and that they are waiting to go back to their home when it is safe. She asked if it was my friends' dad's house too and I explained that the girl's dad died a couple of year's ago.
This led to a discussion about death and one of the most beautiful declarations of love I have ever heard. It went something like this:
Addy: Mom, why do people die?
Me: Well, sometimes people die because they get very old or sick - like great-grandpa Dale. Sometimes we don't understand why people die, but we trust that God knows when the best time is for each of us to come and live with him.
Addy: Why did Jesus die on the cross?
Me: Because he loves us and he wants us to be able to live in heaven with him one day. He did it to be obedient to his Dad.
Addy: I want to go to heaven one day. When do we get to go there?
Me: I want to go there one day too! I don't know when we'll get to go, but God knows the best time and we will just need to wait until he lets us know when that is.
Addy: But, I want to go there now!
Me: Me too. But you know what? We have to trust that he knows the best time for us to come. And you know what else? God has given us a BIG job to do while we wait to go there. He wants us to tell other people about him so they can go to be with him in heaven one day too. He wants us to tell other people so they can love him and serve him just like our family.
Addy: Well, I LOVE JESUS and I WILL SERVE HIM!!!!!
The conversation went on from there, but you get the idea. Addy's last statement was said with such enthusiasm and joy! I pray that her understanding of the Savior of the world will grow as she does. I pray that each year will bring with it a deeper understanding of the Father's love for her.
2 comments:
Its amazing how much they "get it" at a young age. I am often times suprised at how easily Grace grasps complex concenpts of God. I really miss you we need to chat!
ohmygoodness Lindsay, I am SO glad you found me! I have been thinking about you so often lately...not joking at all. Jody is my "friend" on Facebook and a few months ago I asked him to send me your email. I'm sure he just forgot (or maybe he had no recollection of who i was), but he never sent it to me-so I had no idea how to get in touch with you. All that said, I would love to catch up somehow...email, phone date, etc.
Your family is BEAUTIFUL...what a sweet little girl Addy is. And I'm guessing Sadie Beth and Jaden aren't too far apart in age? I enjoyed so much reading some of your blog and hearing about you guys (I had to restrain myself to keep from reading everything since I only let Sadie Beth sleep for an hour during her morning nap).
So let's see...how can we get in touch. My email is hilaryblair@yahoo.com. Maybe you could email me yours?
I really can't tell you what a blessing it is to hear from you. I've wondered about you so often and now we can finally get back in touch!
Blair
ps - sorry for the novel! :)
Post a Comment