I'm writing this from my mom's computer in Louisville. On Thursday morning, the girls and I flew into town to see my grandmother. Her health has been poor in the last few months and we decided it was important for us to make a special trip to see her since we don't know what tomorrow holds.
My sisters and I managed to coordinate this trip with my mom and step-dad's surprise anniversary party, which they had planned for Friday night. We didn't tell my mom we were coming and we spent Thursday and Friday running around like crazy getting things ready for the party. Several of mom and Bill's friends came to the party and my sister made a beautiful cake with icing to match the dress my mom wore on their wedding day. We had pics blown up and framed of them throughout their years together and displayed with candles and rose petals around the house.
On Thursday night we went to have a picture made of all the grand kids. We had a canvas print made in 11x14 and wrapped it up for them. We also had a black and white pic made of all the grand kids' feet. With a 9 year old, 3 year old and 3 babies under 5 months, this was an interesting challenge! But the pics turned out beautifully!
When our folks arrived at my grandma's house (they thought they were just coming for pizza), the girls and I hid in the bedroom. They were really surprised by the party and all the hard work that had gone into it. Shortly after their arrival, my brother-in-law played a dvd of me giving them anniversary wishes and telling them how much we love them. They said mom started crying when they turned the video on since we couldn't be there.
In the video, I told them that Addy made them a card but I didn't get it in the mail in time. Since I wanted them to have it on their anniversary, I said I sent it by special delivery. On cue, the girls and I came out of the bedroom and said, "Special delivery!". Bill turned around and immediately got choked up. This was the best moment. I've only seen him cry two times in my life - once last night and once at my wedding. They were so surprised!
It was the perfect night. Everything went smoothly and was beautiful. The only thing that could have made it more perfect was if my big brother and sister-in-law could have been there too (and of course, my wonderful husband).
I want to store this memory with the pictures of my eye and save it for a lonely day in Dallas when I am missing the people I love most in the world. God is so good to allow me this time with them. We never know when it will be our last.
My sisters and I managed to coordinate this trip with my mom and step-dad's surprise anniversary party, which they had planned for Friday night. We didn't tell my mom we were coming and we spent Thursday and Friday running around like crazy getting things ready for the party. Several of mom and Bill's friends came to the party and my sister made a beautiful cake with icing to match the dress my mom wore on their wedding day. We had pics blown up and framed of them throughout their years together and displayed with candles and rose petals around the house.
On Thursday night we went to have a picture made of all the grand kids. We had a canvas print made in 11x14 and wrapped it up for them. We also had a black and white pic made of all the grand kids' feet. With a 9 year old, 3 year old and 3 babies under 5 months, this was an interesting challenge! But the pics turned out beautifully!
When our folks arrived at my grandma's house (they thought they were just coming for pizza), the girls and I hid in the bedroom. They were really surprised by the party and all the hard work that had gone into it. Shortly after their arrival, my brother-in-law played a dvd of me giving them anniversary wishes and telling them how much we love them. They said mom started crying when they turned the video on since we couldn't be there.
In the video, I told them that Addy made them a card but I didn't get it in the mail in time. Since I wanted them to have it on their anniversary, I said I sent it by special delivery. On cue, the girls and I came out of the bedroom and said, "Special delivery!". Bill turned around and immediately got choked up. This was the best moment. I've only seen him cry two times in my life - once last night and once at my wedding. They were so surprised!
It was the perfect night. Everything went smoothly and was beautiful. The only thing that could have made it more perfect was if my big brother and sister-in-law could have been there too (and of course, my wonderful husband).
I want to store this memory with the pictures of my eye and save it for a lonely day in Dallas when I am missing the people I love most in the world. God is so good to allow me this time with them. We never know when it will be our last.
2 comments:
That is an awesome story! Thanks for sharing! Welcome to the blog world too, it's great but I have a hard time keeping up. I need to post some stuff here soon. Love you girl!
You are such a good daughter! I chocked up at the card part when the kids came out. I miss you all of the time and really love this little window into your life, thanks. Isn't the internet to great!
Post a Comment