Addy's school didn't let out until Tuesday, December 20th, which worked out perfectly since she didn't get the boot off of her foot until that same afternoon. This meant we didn't have to hang around town for a few extra days waiting to get the boot off, nor did we have to haul the wheelchair to Kentucky.
Our time in Louisville was very bittersweet, as time with family always is for us. We usually feel like the few days we have together will last forever and then, before we know it, they are gone. The Christmas holidays are really busy around the Webb household as the family meat market and catering business monopolizes everyone's time. Nathan helped out at the store the day after we arrived and my mom and I even went in to help pack orders one night. It was all worth it as we witnessed the Lord bring in more business than expected this year - a huge praise for my parents as the economy has made things pretty iffy for them right now.
Here is a glimpse into our Christmas celebrations:


After Bill's store closed at 2:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve, we all hustled to get ready for Christmas Eve services at Southeast. The girls were nervous to go to their classrooms alone (who wouldn't be since the church is so big and they don't know anyone!) so we agreed to let them sit with us in the service. As we were walking to our seats, Addy asked, "Mommy, is daddy speaking tonight?" This was such a sweet question from a girl who's pretty proud of her daddy whenever he preaches/teaches in churches. To be fair, he usually is the one speaking when we're out of town visiting another church. It made me smile - I'm pretty proud of that man too:)
We were doing good to get to our seats on time, so I completely forgot to get pictures of all three kids in front of the huge Christmas trees in the atrium. Since we rode in separate cars and mom had already left with Addy, I had to be content with a picture of Jayden in front of one of the trees in the children's area.
Putting cookies out for Santa (above) and carrots out on the porch for the reindeer (below). Although our kids know that Santa is just for pretend, we still enjoy this tradition each year.
Isaiah was mesmerized by the Christmas tree at Maw Maw's house. For a 20 month old, he did amazingly well! He did like to take a few ornaments off the tree when we weren't looking, though, and try to organize and rearrange them.
Christmas Eve was a little hard this year - it was the first Christmas I spent at home since my grandma died a couple of years ago. It was tradition growing up that we spent Christmas Eve at her house and open her presents to us after a super yummy meal. This year, however, it was just my family and Maw Maw and Paw Paw. To liven up the night, wee decided to give the grandparents their presents from us and then let the kids open the presents YaYa and Papa (my dad and step-mom) sent for them from West Virginia.
Addy gave her brother and sister the presents she picked out for them at the Christmas store at her school. Isaiah was very pleased with his little soccer ball rubber duckie. Jayden got a new necklace.
One of the fundraisers at Addy's school last fall involved the kids drawing a picture in art class and then you can choose for the company to put that piece of artwork on a wide array of items. We chose to have an ornament done for MawMaw Bill (that's what the kids call her) and she was delighted with it. She cried, so we knew we hit the mark:)
The first thing we did on Christmas morning was let the kids open their stockings. We then let them open their gifts from us first and then later that morning opened presents from Maw Maw and Paw Paw Bill once my sister (and family) and my uncle David arrived.
My mom and step-dad's presents were quite a hit as they involved all things princess and girly. The girls received a new castle for their miniature princess dolls, a cinderella carriage, and new toddler princess dolls. They also got a new guitar and some fun books.

Isaiah's favorite toy was this Batman toddler racetrack. He also got a really cool workbench, which we didn't set up until we got home. He loves sorting the "nails" and "screws" and working the drill. His great-grandpa Dale would be especially proud!

We were doing good to get to our seats on time, so I completely forgot to get pictures of all three kids in front of the huge Christmas trees in the atrium. Since we rode in separate cars and mom had already left with Addy, I had to be content with a picture of Jayden in front of one of the trees in the children's area. Their main gift from YaYa and Papa was a Nintendo 3DS. Addy was especially excited about this - I didn't even know she knew what one was! They also each received a new barbie, a new pajama set and a fun princess cup.
Addy gave her brother and sister the presents she picked out for them at the Christmas store at her school. Isaiah was very pleased with his little soccer ball rubber duckie. Jayden got a new necklace.
One of the fundraisers at Addy's school last fall involved the kids drawing a picture in art class and then you can choose for the company to put that piece of artwork on a wide array of items. We chose to have an ornament done for MawMaw Bill (that's what the kids call her) and she was delighted with it. She cried, so we knew we hit the mark:)Our biggest present to the girls was an American girl doll. I collected these as a little girl and have quite a large collection of dolls and accessories. They'd been asking for one for the last year, so I thought it would be a good time to start passing them down. Addy received the "Addy" doll (by request) and Jayden got "Felicity". They also received three American Girl movies (which I got for a huge steal online!)
Isaiah received a Perry the Platypus t-shirt since this is nickname in the family. He loves to wear it! In fact, the other day we went to pick out clothes for the day and he pointed to it and signed "please." He also got a big set of Melissa and Doug wooden blocks (another steal!) and a Noah's Ark Little People set.
After opening presents, mom and I started cooking our traditional brunch, which quickly became quite eventful . . . I went to pull the biscuits out of the drawer in the fridge and the drawer dragged the tall (and very heavy) pitcher full of two batches of Pink Lady Punch out of the fridge and directly onto my foot. The pitcher shattered in a million pieces and left sticky punch all over Paw Paw's nice wooden floor. I honestly am surprised it didn't break a bone in my foot, it hurt so bad. It swelled up quite nicely, but, thankfully, I was still able to walk on it with only a bit of limp.
A couple of days after Christmas, Nathan and I enjoyed an overnight at a retreat center just south of Lexington in celebration of our 8 year anniversary. They allow missionaries to stay for up to 2 nights free in one of their cabins and it was bliss! My sister and mom watched the kids and we enjoyed an entire 24 hours of quiet - I read 1 1/2 novels while we were there! My only regret was that it was rainy, since it would have been really nice to get out and explore the property and surrounding woods.
I am sad to say I don't have more pics from our visit in Kentucky - I filled up my memory card Christmas morning and never got out to get another one. But the trip up north was full of lots of great memories that have left pictures imprinted on my heart.
Most days I long to live closer to my family. The last week has been rough as my rheumatologist is exploring a different diagnosis for my muscle pain and I could really have used a hug from my momma. I long for the days when heaven will be our home and the distance between us will be no more. Until then, I am blessed to serve the King, for whom all such sacrifices are fully worth it.

No comments:
Post a Comment